The LEGO Group

The LEGO Group is engaged in the development of children's creativity through play and learning. Based on the world-famous LEGO® brick, the company today provides unique play experiences to children.

The name LEGO® was created by the two Danish words LEg GOdt, meaning "play well", and the development of children's creativity through play and learning has been at the core of the company ever since it was founded. The LEGO brick, which was invented in its present form in 1958, and the LEGO building system form the platform for open-ended play and provide children with endless possibilities of realising their true potential.

The mission of the company is to "inspire and develop the builders of tomorrow", and all products are based on the underlying philosophy of development through play. It is the LEGO philosophy that "good quality play" enriches a child's life - and lays the foundation for its development throughout life. 

The LEGO Group was founded by the Kirk Kristiansen family in 1932 and has since then been headquartered in Billund, Denmark. Production takes place in Denmark, the Czech Republic, Hungary, China and Mexico, and other large locations are USA, Germany, Singapore and the UK.  

The LEGO Group is owned 75 % by KIRKBI A/S, and the remaining 25 % is owned by the LEGO Foundation through Koldingvej 2, Billund A/S.